Kolar witnesses largest ever turnout and
support for Yatra so far
New Delhi, September, 2017, Friday: The Bharat
Yatra
, launched by Nobel
Peace Laureate Kailash Satyarthi
on 11 September, entered the state of
Karnataka, reaching Kolar on 15th September, the fifth day of the
35-day long march across the country to build unprecedented awareness on
combating child sexual abuse and trafficking.
Within five days of
the launch, this march has already mobilized and has been joined by over 55,000
children, youth and working professionals, with the largest turnout in Kolar of
nearly 10,000 people, who demanded for a stop to child sexual abuse, called for
better laws in the country and pledged to protect the children of India from
these heinous acts. The Yatra marchers called upon the youth of the country to
step up and fight for children across India. They urged people of Kolar to
strive towards building a safe childhood and a safe India.
Said Mr. Satayarthi, “It is not enough to
declare a war against rape and sexual abuse. We must look towards concrete
solutions and confidence building measures to ensure the security for our
children. I urge all of the
political community in the country to go back to school as an ordinary parent.
See things on your own, feel the environment, question them. Schools are
supposed to be an institution of learning and a haven for our children. It
should not be a place of torture.”
Let us solve
problems creatively, let us come forward and pledge to work and advocate a safe
childhood for our children. I appeal to all parents to help instil a sense of
trust and be friends with your children, so that they can speak fearlessly about
any problem.Surakshit Bachpan-Surakshit Bharat has to be realized for our
children, politically, economically and socially,” he added
Ever since its
launch, Bharat Yatra has been drawing enormous support from citizens across
India, including Amitabh Bachchan who tweeted to his fans to support the Yatra.
Earlier, Union Minister for Shipping and Finance Mr Pon Radhakrishnan had
flagged off the Yatra from Kanyakumari along with Mr Satyarthi. In Trivandrum,
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan assured whole hearted support from his
government in eradicating the menace of child sexual abuse and trafficking.

Prime Minister
Narendra Modi had sent a personal letter to Kailash Satyarthi extending his
support to the Yatra, which will cover 11000 kilometres across 22 States,
including Tamil Nadu. Some of the key cities it covers include Chennai,
Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Guwahati, Bhopal, Jaipur, Srinagar among others.
At
Kanniyakumari during the flag off Mr Satyarthi had declared, “I will not rest
till children of this country are not safe. I am not going to stop fighting if
the raping and abuse do not stop.  I
cannot sleep in peace until we win our war against rape and abuse. This moral
epidemic haunts our nation, and it is time we fight against it, together.”
Re-iterating his
mission behind launching the Bharat Yatra, he said “Why am I marching? Because
my children are being raped. I refuse to accept that eight children go missing
and two are raped every hour. Each time if a single child is in danger, India
is in danger. Bharat Yatra is to make India safe again for our children.”

Kailash Satyarthi
has been campaigning for the freedom, safety and security for children across
the globe for the past 36 years. His Nobel Peace Prize (2014) was for his
continuous efforts and struggle for the rights children.

The
Yatra is the launch of the three-year campaign against child rape and child
sexual abuse which is aimed at increasing awareness and reporting of the cases,
strengthening institutional response including medical health and compensations,
ensuring protection for victims and witnesses during trials and increasing
convictions of child sexual abuse in a time bound manner.
Disclaimer: The article & images used in this blog are the property of pr24x7 & the data is compiled by them.


Leave a Reply