The human heart is an organ that pumps blood throughout the body through the circulatory system, supplying oxygen and essential nutrients to the tissues extracting CO2 and other wastes.
"The tissues of the body need a constant supply ofnutrition in order to be active," said Dr. Lawrence Phillips, acardiologist at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York.
If the heart stops functioning, the body will die, so it is the most important organ of human body and we need to be very careful about it.
In humans, the heart is roughly the size of a large fist andweighs between about 10 to 12 ounces (280 to 340 grams) in men and 8 to 10ounces (230 to 280 grams) in women, according to Henry Gray's "Anatomy ofthe Human Body."
The functioning of heart is quite complex and it is in constant motion. The fresh pure blood is supplied to the organs. The heart is also a muscle, so it needs a fresh supply of oxygen and nutrients, too, Phillips said.
We need to be careful about our heart to lead a healthy n active life. In previous time, people were physically active and their lifestyle included cycling and walking as well their physical movement was more required at workplace.
With the digitization, the pattern of job underwent great changes and lifestyle changed too. Today’s job demand is to be mentally active and physically the person is hooked at one place and soon, it becomes a habit to sit for long hours, so the people are leading a sedentary lifestyle.
Moreover, spurt of changes came in lifestyle. Once considered to be luxuries are now the immediate needs of a man.
The movement of a person of any age group is quite restricted n people have chosen comforted lifestyle where the body does not even perspires, so the toxins are not excreted.
Owing to changes in lifestyle, now people has to work out in gyms to shed that extra fat, flab or to perspire….two decades back, people strained in their daily routines and found time for recreation after attending the personal n workplace job, especially in India people were fit and healthy.
Nowadays, the cycle got replaced with air-conditioned cars, bungalows replaced with centralized air-conditioned homes & offices and school too have the amenities of comfort and the working class is glued to system and the people residing at home, elders n kids have found TV & computer to pass their time by playing games and watching shows.
The consequence is people are gaining weight day by day and their girth increasing with each passing day.
The people are quite attentive to the emotions and they take care of their virtual heart more than the organ heart which is in rhythm. The heart organ is ignored till the problem is not identified. Going by the statistics, there is an immense increase in the cases of heart diseases and even the young adults and children are been diagnosed with the problems related to heart.
It’s high time and now we need to pay attention to our health and be careful in our lifestyle, eating habits, fitting in exercise regimen in our fast sedentary lifestyle and remain happy.
Nowadays people get irritated or stressed on slightest pretext the reason I find is upbringing in nuclear family wherein you don’t have shoulders to cry or take support in trying times
The words sedentary & fast together sounds awkward but it’s true. Fast because we don’t have time for me time and sedentary because we are mentally hyperactive and physically inactive.
We can’t change our habits in a day or bring about a great revolution in our lifestyle but the small steps towards change in our attitudes n behaviour can help in to great extent and slowly it can inculcate into our habit and we can live a healthy life.
Recent findings from the World Heart Federation reveal that even small lifestyle changes like being active, eating better, and staying happy can make your heart up to 50% healthier.
Our Chote Kadam towards heart care can change our figure and can keep us fit and healthy.
Let us discuss the Chote Kadam that we should adopt in our lifestyle.
- Eat healthy foods which includes fresh veggies, fruits, cereals and healthy snacks avoiding junk and packaged food or previously cooked stored food. Whatever you eat, eat fresh. Say goodbye to ready-made foods. Don’t overcook because essential nutrients are destroyed.
- Quit Smoking, Tobacco Chewing & Alcohol as these are the enemies of a healthy body. You can’t cut down the intake in a day, wean out slowly and steadily.
- Check your Salt intake Blood pressure is directly linked with heart, so maintain normal BP. Patients of BP need to take salt in minimal qty. Sodium compounds are harmful thus it should be avoided.
- Drink More Water: Increase your water intake, it will keep the body hydrated. Develop habit of carrying your own drinking water bottle, it’s good for health.
- Physical Exercise: Start walking in morning n evening hours. Start with fifteen minutes of walking and slowly increase its pace & time. During duty hours, adopt habit of taking a break after every hour of work or watching TV, walk or jog for 5 to 10 minutes. Gradually, it will be a habit and your body will fit into the regimen of exercising. Even Yoga breathing exercises are highly beneficial for heart care. There are ample TV shows hosting Yoga and you can follow on your own along with entertainment.
- Keep Cholesterol in Check: Eating foods high in saturated fat, Trans fat or cholesterol leads to high blood cholesterol. To help keep your cholesterol levels down, eat foods low in saturated fat and Trans fat, such as lean chicken fruits and veggies, low-fat or fat-free dairy products and whole grains.
- Maintain Healthy Weight: Keep your body weight in check, neither overweight nor underweight. The obese person are more likely to get afflicted by heart problem and at times, it is fatal. Don’t over diet, squeeze your diet each day and slowly you will find substantial decrease in body weight in long run. Losing weight over a period of time is healthy compared to steady reduction of weight. Maintain your Body Mass Index, BMI.
- After the age of 30 years, schedule a yearly check-up of your body and blood profile done and consult a good physician who can recommend ideal directions to follow and follow the prescribed advice sincerely to stay fit n healthy. Take medicines on prescribed timings.
- Cut Down on Sugar Intake too as High glucose level poses a lot of issues to the organs of the body especially the heart, kidney and the nerves.
- According to Ayurveda, the herbal formulas prepared from organic plants n spices keep the heart diseases at bay. Consult a good practitioner of Ayurveda.
- Keep Stress at Bay: Stress plays an important role in the failures of organ, so be positive, stay calm and don’t over-stress. The materialistic lifestyle has added problems in life. The people have become mechanized and are running after the wealth. Give some time for your body to relax and adopt healthy techniques of Meditation & relaxation. Meditation & relaxation both keep the blood circulation proper & healthy. Be happy & laughter is the best medicine.
- Don’t use preheated oils to cook food nor cook the food on high flame. Avoid oily and rich food and refined flour.
I follow the above mentioned to keep myself and my family happy and free from complexities of health issues.
Prepare fresh food, very rarely use refrigerated food or curd. We have cut down intake of pizza and cold drinks to 1/10th, we do take but once in a quarter. Spend half an hour or one hour on walking and relaxation.
I take break from work at regular interval for fifteen minutes to roam around or stretch my body to keep the body supple.
All of us have scheduled our check-ups once or twice in a year as advised by our family doctor.
Gradually we are trying to make up for the losses we did while thriving on junk food and sedentary lifestyle but we checked ourselves on time and thank god we are free from the issues of heart and have become quite aware on heart care.
I use Saffola Oil for cooking and I am sure My Chote Kadams towards the mission have gave us good results and will secure our future.
I am careful about my both hearts, one that beats for my body and the other that beats for my love life.
I have changed my lifestyle, Have you…If not, Start today and feel the changes within…Keep Smiling to ward off heart diseases.
(Inputs from web)