“A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on.” ― Carl Sandburg
I endorse the idea put up by Mrs. Maneka Gandhi to make the foetus test mandatory for sex determination. Hue and cry will be raised against it, because in our country people’s reactions come first and afterwards, they try to understand the matter. If one thinks coolly, it’s an idea to be welcomed with open arms. You might question me, why am I supporting this view?
See, in our country, legally, there is a ban on foetus sex determination test to stop female foeticide, but is this mandate followed 100%. A Big “No” and we all know. The laws are passed and implemented but is not followed religiously, that’s the beauty of our country. People are well habituated and they do what they like.
The funniest thing I discover about the mentality of people, a woman is the enemy of a woman. A woman wants to give birth only to a male child, no females. I don’t understand how insane a person can be. Can society of only males survive? What do they have in their mind? Will all the males of our country live as singles or marry with the same sex?
The icing on the cake is She desires beautiful bride for her son, from where she will fetch. Is she planning to get one from Mars? Actually, the problem is with her mind-set. It’s so attuned from the beginning to desire bearing male child only. People need to attend awareness programs to understand that for a family, a child is necessary irrespective of sex.
In spite of ban, under the covers, scissors are used to terminate pregnancies, if foetus test confirms a girl child. The laws of our land need to be amended for womb wash or abortions. The term “Abortions” needs much clarity and crystal clear policies to put a stop to female foeticide.
In many countries, in initial phase of pregnancy, sex is determined and declared to the couple, because people don’t go for abortion and it is vice versa in our country. Here people deliberately visit for sex determination test and if they spot a girl, they willingly go for termination of pregnancy, this is the case under legal ban.
Better we revoke this ban and implement the laws which will have positive impact on our society.
1. Make sex determination test mandatory for each pregnancy and the case should be registered in records after verifying the antecedents of the expecting parents.
2. Cross checks will be done by the attending doctors and the file to be maintained with the signatures of parents and the doctors.
3. No abortions will be allowed after sex determination tests.
4. Abortions to be carried only in the cases of birth defects and abnormalities of foetus, not fit to produce.
5. Birth defects cases should not undergo the sex determination test.
6. Better that the government mandates both, birth defect tests and sex determination tests.
7. In birth defect test, if the foetus is found abnormal, it should be terminated and sex determination test should not be carried.
8. The data of Births and Abortions should be maintained.
It is not an easy task, it is a daunting task and the whole machinery needs overhauling to implement it. The proposal is good if drafted with possible possibilities and implemented with extra care and effort. The laws need to be stringent and it should be strictly followed to improve the statistics and status of our country. Introduce awareness programs and educate women of society to bring a change in their mind-sets.
We have less females in our country in comparison to male ratio and we shouldn’t forget that the Creator of the Universe is a Woman and she needs to be welcomed with love. Strive for a child to add happiness in life, drop the fantasy of cherishing male child. I believe it will have positive impact in our country and improve the condition of our country.
(The views are solely mine and not influenced by anyone. Author Ila Varma.)